Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The MEANINGFUL role of language

Some time ago, a colleague of mine ( of different gender), made a 'funny' statement regarding us, the 'soft' ones. He said that, according to a research, in a day, women talk more than men. Though he did not quote the source, and also because it did no harm whatsoever to my level of sanity, I just accepted his words to be almost true. He disclosed that in average, women talk about 25000 words a day ( I sincerely believe that was the amount he mentioned, if it's inaccurate, then my memory might have failed me). 

And because of that large 'inventory' that a woman needs to 'clear up' in a day, he added, it is normalcy to find women both at workplace and at home, turn into a 'chatter-box'. There was a 'strain' in his voice when he said that the husbands have always become the victims of circumstances since the wives upon appearing at the door, start to 'pour' all the words that they did not manage to 'clear up' at their workplace for that day. And the husbands, since they have small lists of words allocated to them , (unfortunately to them) do not have any other choice but to merely listen in silence.

OK, jokes aside. My personal view on this man vs woman in terms of their nature in communicative behavior, is simple : That's actually the wonderful thing about being different. We can complement each other. It's no fun to have both talking at the same time; who's going to listen? It's also unproductive if both parties keep their thoughts to themselves; what is the meaning of co-existence, then? So, here is the issue of today. Of language. Of its importance as a tool of communication; i.e to convey one's thoughts, which in the long run, as an insights into our identity.

I was born and bred as a 'city' girl for a simple reason that at that time my late father worked in the city. Upon retirement, he bought a house in a sub-urban area and moved there. So, it is true that I had lived, grew up and studied in the city. In fact, many of my childhood and school friends have permanent residence there. But, do I 'feel' like a city girl? Frankly, I do not feel the 'significance' of the meaning of the term to my 'real' existence. I am just a 'plain' me, city or not, enjoying my simple peaceful life in this small part of the country. Now, should anybody ask me where I'm from, I would identify myself as the 'northerner'. But, I must admit that I had the opportunity of growing up in an environment where the 'culture' is open. Where my language 'ability' is concerned, the environment I grew up in did help me to develop my proficiency in both my mother tongue and my second language.

Do not get me wrong. I was not born into a family who adopted the English 'culture', where English was the main medium of communication among members of the family. Rather, we conversed totally in Bahasa Melayu,; so typical of a Malay identity. If we did speak in the second language (which was like 'once in a blue moon'), it went all haywire, with the strong presence of our mother tongue and the foreign sounds both streaming seamlessly into that conversation. We actually spoke 'broken English'. That was my answer when one of my English teachers asked me whether I used English at home. Well, she had a puzzled look on her face, contemplating maybe, whether I was telling the truth or not. Or, could it be that all those years of English language teaching, she had always 'doubted' her teaching ability.

Well, as I was growing up, I was always 'curious' about  and 'acutely aware' of my surroundings. I liked to read; both Malay and English materials ( books, magazines, newspapers, comics, novels, etc.).  To say the least, any reading materials that I had had the opportunity to come in contact  with at that time. I read all sorts of advertisements too; in newspapers and magazines, bills posted on walls as I went 'window shopping', labels and instructions written on the packed drinks I bought to quench my thirst; the big billboards I saw from the window of the bus I boarded, the bus tickets ( actually, out of fear that I might have boarded the wrong bus), and many other types of written communication.

It's amazing how those readings actually complemented my reading activities at school, which were 'limitedly' content-and-context-determined. More importantly, it helped me to understand how to use the knowledge I acquired of my second language in 'authentic' contexts;  actually long before communicative approach was introduced and built into the curriculum.

I was also an 'attentive' listener. I listened to music a lot on those days. The melodies of the 'oldies' always had a way into my heart. Those music-talented people had amazingly 'captured' the right 'spirit', 'mood', 'emotion', etc, and relived those feelings in their music. I was 'filled' with emotions as I silently listened to the  'longing' sad voice of Andy Williams rendering 'Love Story'.  I rejoiced every time ABBA came on air with their exhilarating spirit and catchy tunes.  

Watching the movies further enhanced my listening skill. I re-acted the scene when the character of "Incredible Hulk" said the line : "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry", and I  perfectly understood how the facial expression must go in harmony with the words to have a significant impact.  I sharpened my sense of humor and wits watching Malay comedies alongside the slapsticks of 'Charlie Chaplin', the dumb, dumber, dumbest "Three Stooges"; the 'trendy' youngsters of "Happy Days", the witty lines of the characters in "Bill Cosby Show", etc.

Most of drama shown on tv, back in the old days, depicted almost similar themes that further helped me to think of the embedded 'values'; e.g. of how the 'good' will eventually win against the 'bad' and how we should use God's most wonderful gift, aka our mind; i.e. to enhance our thinking and problem-solving skills, of the benefits of science and technology, of strong family ties and of social unity. Remember tv series such as BJ and the Bear, McGyver, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Little House on the Prairie, well, just to name a few.There were also many detective series such Kojak, Hawaii-Five-O, Charlie's Angels, etc. which actually helped to 'read' the tactics of those crooked minds.

As to my 'speaking' ability, well I watched lots of 'cartoons' shown on TV. I grew up imitating the character of 'Olive' in "Popeye the Sailor man"; it had a catchy tune. I would continue humming even though it had long ended.  And I really liked the 'romantic' idea of being saved by a guy who simply eats 'spinach' to be strong and beat up a bully. Indeed, good food is important. I enjoyed watching Tom & Jerry, for example, and always wondered how the tiny mouse could always outwit the bigger cat. Well, it did make sense to me at that time, as the bigger Tom is too lazy to use his brain that his physical appearance does not seem to give him any advantage after all.

There were other interesting programs that helped build my pronunciation skills such as The Sesame Street. In fact, back then, there were already many 'global' products that had made their ways into our homes. Other than that, I strongly admired the outstanding performance of some of our local presenters, broadcasters, journalists, etc. in terms of their ability to use standard English (e.g. Patrick Teoh, Yasmin Yusof, Adibah Amin).

And finally, how did I develop my 'writing' ability?  I must stress that the process went all 'by the book'. I was made to follow strictly to the rules of grammar in sentence writing; i.e. the do's and the don'ts. I was introduced to the classes of words and how they are classified; which words are allowed to be together and why; how words change their forms and what the forms are; what are the mechanics of writing that need to be learned in order to write correctly; and many more. In terms of my vocabulary development, of course, I need to rely on the dictionary for the meanings of unfamiliar words, the substitutes of the words so that the same word would not be repeated again and again; etc. I was made familiar with the 'flow' and 'rhytmn' of English language through novels, short stories, poems, songs, rhymes, etc.

That was basically how I learned and acquired the proficiency of my second language. As far as second language is concerned, there was never an intention of being a global person during my years of reading and studying English language materials. The motivation was basically and purely intrinsic.  I found it so fascinating an experience to be able to go beyond the limitation of relying to one's mother tongue. Having a second language actually helps to open up the 'window' to a new, foreign world; to expand one's horizon. And so, without realizing it, I did actually make myself a 'global' person, back then, unintentionally. Through the many forms or means of communication available in my second language.

Upon continuing my study at a higher level, I suddenly realized that learning a second language is not all about producing the right 'foreign' sounds, or constructing highly grammatical sentences, or having an ever ready collection of bombastic words at one's disposal should the need arise, or using the right form of a particular word. It is also not about 'prestige'. In fact, I am strongly against the belief that it should be used as the sole indicator to judge one's performance. After all, we need to clearly define the context in which the judgment or appraisal is being made; for example, within a certain working context, which is more significant, the language ability or the performance. If both, then only, make the best judgment. Of utmost importance, however, it should not be used as 'tool' to distinguish people's level of status in the society; 'us' vs 'other'.

What is more crucial is to use our ability in using our second language proficiently for more meaningful purposes; i.e to 'educate' the society. Language is a pervasive tool in shaping our thoughts through the properties inherent in its linguistics system. It could both covertly and overtly influence our thinking, our view of the world, for example, by spreading subtle 'ideological' tenets. Within a social realm it could also maintain or challenge the 'status quo' by propagating a certain kind of beliefs, be it political, economical, social, etc. And because of that, it is crucial for every member in the society to be a 'critical' user of language.

In fact, through my own personal experience, I found satisfaction in my ability to  'critically' play with words to stir 'numb' emotions; to 'knock-out' the stubborn ignorant or hard-headed people, to critically raise awareness by pointing out the 'exact' issue and not the 'insignificance'; to uncover the 'hidden' agenda (the 'unsaid') behind what was overtly said; to illustratively paint a holistic, vivid picture in helping others to understand what is obscured; and many other more things that my second language allows me to do in relation to the kind of social interactions that I involve myself with. That is how influential language is a means of social communication.

And so, when I heard of comments on the declining standard of English language among our younger generations, I have mixed feelings and opinions. No doubt English language is the lingua franca among different races of global and local settings. Having been raised in an environment where English is widely used both inside and outside the homes, it would be a real blow to one's self-esteem not being able to use English proficiently. And also for some, having known of friends and relatives who use the language at home with their spouses and children further exaggerates the pressing situation.

But I know of people who went to study abroad and upon returning, had a modified speech pattern; very distinctive indeed: (i.e they actually produce more nasalized sounds than the actual ones in the sound system of the second language). Truth be told, the 'substance' of their 'exaggerated' articulation did not do me proud of them being global citizens. Well, it sure depends on how you see yourself as
'bilingual' or 'multi-lingual'. It is whether you place more important in 'how' you talk or 'what' you talk about. To the critical assessors, it actually defines your 'values'.

Nevertheless, to be fair, I also have come across some people who are locally-trained and some other, who had spent many years of studying and working in a foreign country, but who still are deeply rooted in their national identity. And these people, accent or no accent, are outstanding workers who have good sense of study and work ethics. To them, English language is the means for them to acquire advanced knowledge to help them making greater contribution to the nation, with the mother tongue as the link to their roots should they have a relapse in memory about their identity.

In a nutshell, I strongly believe in the need for everybody to acquire the second, or a third or a fourth language. As professionals, we crucially need it to ensure that we are not being left behind in today's competitive environment; i.e. globally and locally. However, as contribution to our society, especially for the benefit of our future generation, we need to make it a habit to use it critically, both at the receiving and producing ends.


Well, I definitely have used up my number of vocabulary allocated to me today. So, what do you, my male friends, with your limited number of words at your disposal, have to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment